The Age of Sigmar began with the thunderous arrival of the Stormcast Eternals, borne upon the heavenly storm of the God-King Sigmar Heldenhammer. They are great heroes, snatched up at the moment of death and magically reforged – these golden warriors are thrown into battle against all who would corrupt, decay, and destroy the Mortal Realms.
This 360-page hardback book is the ultimate companion for both novice and veteran players of Warhammer Age of Sigmar, containing everything you need to know to collect, build, paint, and play with Citadel miniatures in the Mortal Realms.
Realms of War
The Core Book starts with Realms of War, an overview of the Warhammer hobby with concise how-to guides on collecting, building, and painting your miniatures, as well as the various ways you can use them to play games of Warhammer Age of Sigmar.
Discover the history of the Mortal Realms in the first lore section of the book, containing a detailed, illustrated story-so-far, from the arrival of mankind's God-King to the savage Era of the Beast.
Learn about the armies and alliances that fight across the Mortal Realms, each featuring a showcase of beautifully painted Citadel miniatures, split into four sections according to their Grand Alliances. Beginning with the forces of Order, you'll glean insight into each of the factions that comprise the last bastion of civilisation in the eight realms (even if they don't always get along), before moving on to parley with their nemeses in the forces of Chaos. Meanwhile, Nagash's alliance of Death plots to claim every last soul in the land, while Grand Alliance Destruction indulges their baser instincts on a roaring rampage of carnage alongside their newfound deity, Kragnos.
The first rules section of this book contains the core concepts you need to start fighting battles in the Age of Sigmar, taking you through deployment, the battle rounds, combat, magic, and more. The rules are laid out in a clear and concise format with additional commentary from the designers, making this the easiest rulebook to reference in Warhammer history.
Once you've got the basics squared away, find out all about the three core ways to play the game and the battleplans you can undertake in each.
Let your imagination run wild as open play caters for re-enacting every kind of narrative storyline or tactical challenge you can think of, without restrictions.
– Includes the Open War Battleplan Generator, which provides pre-set Maps, Victory Conditions, Twists, and Ruses.
– Combining different options allows over 1,200 different types of Open War scenarios to be played.
Designed to put both players on an equal footing, matched play offers players an even chance of victory based around points-based army construction rules and a competitive set of battleplans.
– Includes additional special rules, including Stealing the Initiative, as well as rules for additional objectives scored on either a turn-by-turn or end-of-battle basis.
– Features much broader and more detailed requirements and restrictions than other game types, including restrictions on endless spells, reinforced units, and understrength units.
Send your army on a Path to Glory and watch them develop across games with an overhauled section on narrative gameplay rules. Earn renown, gain new abilities, and even expand your army's territory while free of limitations on how, when, and where you can play.
– Includes rules and guidance on a 5-step process to starting a Path to Glory campaign, including: Choosing Factions and Realms, Starting Sizes and Territories, Orders of Battle, Core Enhancements, and picking Quests to embark upon.
– Provides guidance on how to fight battles against opponents both participating and not participating in a Path to Glory Campaign.
The final section helps represent the vast array of battlefields and endless war that the overlords of the Mortal Realms fight across, including bespoke rules for the various, more niche type of battlefields you may come to fight, on, across, over, or indeed, under.